November 29, 2011

Sanibel Island

Last week-ish, Ru and I drove to the west coast...
To have a look around the areas we're interested in living...
We ended up on Sanibel Island,
At Bowman's Beach...


We barely made it onto the causeway,
When we stopped on a narrow strip of beach 
To eat lunch...
And watch the shore birds...
An osprey dove into the water right in front of us...
No camera in hand of course...
But I did capture the black-bellied plover, above...


 
And a great egret...


 
Once at Bowman's Beach,
I gleefully strolled down the shore
Looking for seashells
And watching the feathered friends...
Like the sandwich terns, above
(Black bills w/ yellow tips)...

 

And this royal tern...
(All birds are in their winter plumage)...


 
The scenery was pleasant...


 
Walking back to the car, at the bridge
Over a waterway off of the ocean...
We watched two 'silver' gals
Canoeing at a brisk clip...
(Mom, you can do it!)

4 comments:

  1. The group photo of the seven little terns was very special, Jann, like they were marching over to you!

    I was treated to 2 Jann posts today, left a comment back on the one I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanibel Island is a glorious place to visit. Lovely images on this post! The Sandwich Tern photograph is especially fabulous. We just returned home from a trip to the west coast of Florida ... I could not get enough of the gorgeous wildlife/birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your move and the new blog. I loved camping in the Blacks Hills spring and fall. Still there is Winter. So we've headed south to follow the MN Twins spring training in Ft. Meyer. I expected not to like Florida. Too many people, malls and tourists (like me) I was totally shocked beginning at Ding Darling (Sanibel Island) and birding trails and nature preserves. I loved it all. I'm sure you will too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanda, I was so tickled to find/watch those terns skittering around at the water's edge! With their winter plumage they look like little bald guys, huh? LOL

    Julie, it sounds like you've lived in FL in the past, or maybe your folks moved there? I'm really looking forward to living on the SW coast and visiting the hot bird spots there!

    Trout...thank you for the well wishes! I didn't think I'd like FL either when I first visited in '06 but I loved it! The W coast is a lot slower paced than the SE coast. I hope to get back to Sanibel Isl to the Darling Preserve before too long.

    ReplyDelete