November 04, 2011

A Little Florida 101

Since I haven't been out and about with the camera yet,
I'll have to post what I find around the house...
Can you believe my bird field guide books are packed away??
Yesterday, two small green parrot-type birds shot by
About two houses down...
Gone before I could inhale...
(I do realize they're probably escaped pets)...

Today I'm shuffling around like a 130 year old,
Dang back muscle spasm, OY!

So...a few things very common around Florida...
(a.k.a. Toto, I think we're not in Kansas anymore)...



Palm trees, of course! They're everywhere....




These black, distinct-songed birds...very common I'm sure...
Were squawking at ea other...a couple?
Also distinctly-shaped tail but no ID yet...

(Update: I got my field guides out of storage...
These are male boat-tailed grackles,
Uber-common here...
The females are a pretty brown color.)


 

Backyard pools...very, very common...too bad it's too 'cold' even for me
to enjoy a dip in, (the water temp., not the ambient temp.!)
...but it's nice to look at.




Well well, my first bird photo and what is it?? The Florida state bird...a Northern Mocking Bird!
A lifer, of course...and I haven't even begun to warm up yet.  :o)

3 comments:

  1. You're finding your niche in Florida bird watching, Jann. Sorry for the muscle issues...moving and then unpacking can be back breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those might be boat-tailed grackles showing off to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that beautiful photo of the palm tree has me longing for the beautiful beaches of Florida. Stunning Mockingbird image! Congratulations on the lifer. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your back issues.

    ReplyDelete