February 08, 2012

On Ollie's Pond ~ Four Lifers

While on the SW coast last week,
we discovered, by sheer chance,
Ollie's Pond in Port Charlotte...
The pond covers 40 acres
And is only a few miles from PC Harbor...
There's a path around the pond,
And I eagerly took a stroll along one side...



Several little blue herons were feeding...



At some distance, towards the center of the pond,
Greater yellowlegs were also feeding...
(A lifer! I've seen lesser yellowlegs)



There were several Ibises,
This one posing as a statue...



White ibises and glossy ibises were feeding together,
While a pack of hooded mergansers (lifers!) cruised by...


I couldn't quite get a good photo...
Probably 'cause I was all nerves I was so excited ;o)
I was standing in shadow in a line of small trees,
Along side two Brits...
As I went back to the trail and walked a few feet,
Something red zipped by at eye level.....
! ! !




The No. Cardinal was at the top of my lifer wish list,
And I was close to tears I was so overcome...
But did manage to calm down and take photos.
The English couple joined me...
Mr. C posed for at least 10 min. ...






Also flitting in the trees along the path was this yellow-rumped warbler...



Another lifer in the trees, a red-bellied woodpecker!
A bit frustrating not to be able to get a better shot....




Snowy egrets enjoy the pond too...



Trees around the pond have long strands of Spanish moss...



A view of Ollie's Pond....



Not far from Ollie's Pond,
we found a cute little "welcome" frog....
On the front side of a house...
Not just ANY house, mind you...
But OUR soon-to-be new home!
We love, love the Port Charlotte area
And can't wait to be living there.

2 comments:

  1. Ollie's Pond looks like a glorious place to view wildlife. Your photographs are especially stunning! I love all the reflection captures. Congratulations on all of the beautiful life birds sightings. So very exciting. What a marvelous area you will be residing in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ollie's Pond provided you with many photo oportunities, Jann. Glad to see a Norther Cardinal there, it's the state bird here in Ohio. Yesterday there were 8 males at the feeder. Loved the Spanish moss and tree frog welcoming you! Great news about the new home!

    ReplyDelete