February 28, 2012

Bokeelia ~ Pine Island

Another trip was made to the SW coast,
This time to check out Cape Coral...
C.C. is located on the E side of Charlotte Harbor...
What we saw we did not care for,
But we mosied on over to Pine Island
(The largest island on the W coast of FL)...
Bokeelia is on the N tip of the island,
At the mouth of Charlotte Harbor...
It is one of five communities on the island...

There are two piers; this one has a locked gate...
The other pier, you can walk out on part way...
At its gate you have to pay $8 to enter...



While we ate a seafood lunch at the rustic restaurant
Across the street from the piers,
Ru saw a fin out in the water between the piers...
We finished our lunch and went to watch
A porpoise! It was hunting,
And I couldn't get any photos besides of the fin...
...and the splash as it caught a fish,
After zipping at warp speed towards shore...
We did see the fish flip up into the air...




Nearby, and further back down the road, there are two huge osprey nests...
I was able to get photos of the osprey at the nest by the piers...
I did see an osprey in the nest, being fed by the one I photographed...


The osprey flew around nearby then landed on a nearby post...



...And another nearby post...



Here's a perspective shot of the nest...


A brown pelican between the piers.

The porpoise sighting was my first ! Very cool.

*  *  *  *  *  *

A special thanks to Caroline for ID'ing the "duck" in my previous post (Feb. 21) as an Egyptian goose! I KNEW it was a legit bird, not a hybrid, but the memory was too hazy to roll off the tip of my tongue, and it wasn't in either of my two bird guides (where on earth did I see it then?)

Another aside...we have made the tough decision not to buy a home in Port Charlotte/No. Port,
Due to the communities mostly being on well/septic water, something we're both uncomfortable with.
I'm pretty disappointed, but we will push on and have another area to check out on the NE coast...
I soooo wanted to live on the SW coast but the water and Chinese drywall issues are putting the kabosh on that....

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on seeing your first porpoise! I believe it will soon become a common sight if you live anywhere near the coast in the state of Florida. Jann, your Osprey images are fabulous! They always make for great photography subjects. That's quite a nest!

    So sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with water and drywall. I hope you can find the perfect place to reside in The Sunshine State soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brown pelican is amazing. All of your birds are. I was amazed at the number of varieties of seagulls you found.

    ReplyDelete