September 15, 2015

Beach-combing Bonanza

Despite the threatening weather, Beach Therapy on this past Friday was really, really good . . . look closely, there's the juvenile reddish egret wading in the foreground . . . look very closely, you can see a flock of brown pelicans heading north just below the horizon (on the left) . . .



It's always thrilling to find a whole whelk shell . . . this small (1.75") Lightning Whelk has very strong dark brown markings . . .



This is the first whole (double-shelled) Atlantic cockle I've ever found; it's small, but it was still an exciting find!




I do have, somewhere in my shoe box sized pile of "misc. clam shells", another one of these Lightning Venus clam shells, but I don't believe the markings are this distinct.



I found two pieces of aqua sea glass; this was the larger piece, approx. 1.25" wide.




Another first  ~  a Jujube Topsnail !




Not a first, but a second . . . a very small Thick-lipped Drill . . .




It was a very good day for finding whelk pieces . . .  my shell bag runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment