June 12, 2015

Sunrise and Scallops

I've continued to stroll the beach at sunrise this past week, arriving a few minutes before the sun breaks above the horizon. Each sunrise I've witnessed, since starting my weekly beach-combing, has been unique and breath-taking. Getting up so early and driving for about 30 minutes would be worth it if I didn't find a single sea treasure on the shore, just to see the sunrises. Fortunately, most times there are nifty things to find as well…



…Other shellers don't seem to care for the curly partial whelk shells, but I think they have their own artistic beauty…



…I found a whole lightning whelk, it needs a good cleaning...



…I continue to find a few scallops on each sandy stroll...


…and cockles, which come in sizes very small to quite big…


…and white baby's ears, this one decorated with seaweed lace...



…I found my 2nd turtle carapace bone...



…this was actually 30 or more minutes after sunrise…a lone black-bellied plover, with non-breeding plumage, contemplates the liquid gold panorama.

2 comments: