April 10, 2015

Beachcomber's Basics

Due to changes in my life, I've decided to change my Blog as well…I've changed the title (not the URL), and am tweaking its direction. About a month ago, I began making an effort to get to the beach at least once a week, for both the physical and mental health that being at and walking on the beach gives me. Esp. now that it's spring and the weather's alot nicer…

I recently attended a "Beachcomber's Basics" class, and was greatly inspired to embrace my beach-y side. My doc had recently asked me, after informing me I need to lose 30 lb., what exercise I like to do best. Well, I like walking. I thought about her question for days, realized that what I really like best is walking…on the beach. So, I've been getting to the beach 1-2 times a week. I go early in the AM, to beat the heat and the "crowds", although the beach I go to is nearly deserted.  :)

I made one such run for the beach this AM…..




…And found 5-6 black-bellied plovers dotting the shore…
This was a first; I'd never seen more than one lone plover before…
They must be gathering before heading N. for the summer…

This plover's plumage is changing from winter to breeding colors…




I did see only one lone laughing gull…
My first photo this year of one with it's breeding plumage...




While at the Beachcomber's Basics class, a really handy guide book
was suggested, "Florida's Living Beaches: A Guide for the Curious
Beachcomber", which I dashed home and bought online…it's
definitely very handy to have! It IDs everything found on FL's coastlines, from 
shells to plants and shore birds. I've come across a handful of
different types of crabs lately (besides the common ghost crab)…
today I found my first speckled crab. Sorry to say, he's deceased.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jann....same Jann from the Black Hills of South Dakota area, that I blogged with a few years ago, right? Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's me! So good to see you Wanda! Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for dropping in!

      Delete