June 06, 2014

The Rookery ~ Part 4

Ok, this is my final entry for my visit to the rookery at St. Augustine Alligator Farm…last but not least, the tri-colored heron…and some odds and ends…             














Ok, about those odds and ends...There were a few wood storks…they must've been exhausted, having to bring all those babies in, eh?  Wink-wink.



One interesting pair of residents (?) were these white-cheeked pintail ducks…Da whaa? You may ask blank-faced…this duck belongs in the Caribbean, S. America, and the Galapagos Islands…it's a vagrant (just look at that devious leer) to Florida…apparently it's called the lesser Bahama pintail in Florida and the Caribbean (an alias to go with its vagrancy)…the ducks were on a tiny "pond" near the alligator pit and there was a name plate for them, but they weren't actually caged in…guess they really like the security system on hand…(did I mention that "the pit" holds 42 gators? A few of them were roughly the size of a cruise ship…)










…There also happened to be a pair of "normal" (Northern) pintails on hand, also with their own name plate and also free to leave...







…I sheepishly admit that in the past two years in Florida, I kinda knew, kinda ignored the fact that the boat-tailed grackles aren't the only grackles in the state…but in S. Florida, where we lived our first six months here, the boat-tails were all I saw…and heard…if I ever saw the common grackle before this visit to the rookery, then I didn't realize it so technically this is a lifer…the commons are 4 inches smaller than the boat-tails, and they come in "purple" and "bronze".




4 comments:

  1. Jann. Super views of the Tricolored Heron and its blue egg.

    The Northern Pintail is normally only found that far south in the winter (should now be in the far north breeding) so I'm guessing that they have had their wings clipped to stop them flying away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank, I wondered if their wings were clipped. Thanks for the info on where they "should" be.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful visit to the rookery. I love the tri-colored with its eggs. They are such beautiful birds. Stunning pintails! Fantastic photographs, Jann! I must take a look at your previous rookery posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my rookery posts Julie! It's really nice to "see" you again! And thanks for the compliment! :)

      Delete