July 31, 2013

New Bellies to Feed

The only birding done lately has been watching the usual activity at home...well, except we did take a maiden voyage recently, with our new bike carrier and bicycles, on a park trail along the Intracoastal Waterway. I didn't take a camera (hubby would've been most unamused) as this was about exercise; a.k.a. no dwaddling. We saw an osprey on the opposite shore, surveying the expanse of water before it from the top of a bare tree. And we saw little blue herons and one great heron on the water's edge by the path, cruising for food. 

Yesterday we witnessed a female ruby-throated hummingbird hovering at one of the bell-shaped flowers in our front yard...then she perched on a thin tree branch above the flowers for a few moments. I knew I'd never get to the camera in time so didn't bother. Darn it....

However, I did get some shots "through the looking glass" of what I'm guessing are the new offspring pair of our resident male and female red-bellied woodpeckers!


First, this is Mama RB Woodpecker at the suet, which I can hardly keep in supply it's going so fast...and of course a blue jay at the nuts/seeds feeder...





...Ok, ok, without further ado...here they are! Our newbies! Will they stick around like their parents? I hope at least long enough to see what gender they are. Mom and Pop wasted no time showing them where the easy pickin's can be found.



A closer look at suet fledgling...



The tufted titmice are really scarce right now, but lately I've seen one here and there zing in to the feeder and zing out. This one looks like it could be a fledge, but I really have no clue.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, those juvi woodpeckers are so cute! They sure are enjoying your treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh! It's a good sign. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see the young ones on the feeder, and also the Blue Jay. I also like the Limpkin on your header.
    Take care Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the young red-bellied Woodpeckers! How nice that you can see them in your backyard. Great post, Jann! Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete